Sunday 25 November 2007

Sunday notes

Afternoon all from a cloudy but fairly bright Stornoway. It was raining earlier on, but that has passed to the east and fizzled out. We had a nice chat in the Journals Chatroom last night, although Lisa [wwfbison] left me slightly dizzy, with herself, her husband and various animals whizzing in and out of sight of the family webcam. It is always nice to be able to fit a face to a name, although I'm afraid my policy on showing my face on the Net (rather, not showing it) prevents me from returning the favour.

The situation in Zimbabwe does not just affect humans, it also has a negative impact on wildlife. Protected species, like rhinoceros, can no longer be protected, leaving them vulnerable to poachers. I will not link to the BBC story, as it contains a gruesome image of a rhinoceros, shot through the head. I did complain to the BBC, but they have decided not to change the image.

The passengers and crew of the MS Explorer, which sank off Antarctica on Friday, have been flown to Punta Arenas in Chile, from where they will be repatriated. Nobody was injured in the incident, although many were left shaken after their ordeal.

6 comments:

  1. Oh Guido, you had Doug feeling guilty all evening about the vertigo statement.  He is taking his job as webcam master seriously and said we will be set up in the proper position for the next time.  It was an enjoyable time in chats last night.  Thank you for not linking the gruesome article, I get so upset when I see things like that.  However we do need to be aware of the situation ~ it hurts my heart to think majestic beasts will no longer be protected.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. The situation in Zim is atrocious and sadly South Africa seems to be headed the same way.I know images like the gruesome one of the rhino are disturbing but sometimes these very images urge people into action.Lets hope SOMEONE does.Pity a country with so much to offer has been ruined...my husband lived and fled out of the old Zimbabwe (Known then as Rhodesia).Now we seem to be fleeing again.....people overseas dont realise how bad it is here.I love my country but feel like a stranger in it.Lawlessness prevails...SAD....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I missed the chat time.  I've not be on when Lisa was there.  We'll need to coordinate that somehow. I'm happy those people got rescued but what a bummer to loose your camera, clothes, etc.  However, I need to remember that all those things can be replaced.  Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry I missed the chat last night.  I'm really going to have to start checking in a little more often.  I wonder if the BBC purposely left that image up to emphasize how bad things are getting in Zimbabwe; perhaps trying to wake up the rest of the world, as it were.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't even imagine what those poor passengers experienced that day....June

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I'd be rather shaken myself!

    Ah, missed you all in the chat!  Then again, it took some itme to get home last night, something amiss in my vehicle akin to a water pump bursting but I'll know more later today on that.  Sad to hear about Zimbabwe:(  Thanks for not including the link.  Its image would stay stuck in my mind and I'd hate that.

    ReplyDelete