Friday 21 December 2007

Ferries and money - update

MV Lord of the Isles, courtesy Calmac.

I am updating the entry entitled "Ferries and money", as I have now got two newspaper reports in front of me, with diametrically opposed views of events. The West Highland Free Press (firebrand weekly from the Isle of Skye) gave the information I relayed in the original post.

The Press and Journal (daily broadsheet from Aberdeen) reports that the option of redeploying the ferry Lord of the Isles would be detrimental to other island communities. Furthermore, the Transport Minister has asked Calmac to review the shipping market, with a view to find a suitable vessel that could be chartered to ply the Mallaig - Lochboisdale route (Lochboisdale being the primary ferryport in South Uist).

I don't know what to make of all this, I'm sure in the fullness of time the truth will come out.

1 comment:

  1. Our area newspapers are so biased depending who is lining their pockets the only purpose the paper serves in for lining a bird cage or litter box.  I am so intrigued by all the ferries going about ~ it is interesting to me to think of going about by ferry.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete