Monday 4 July 2005

Sunday 03/07/05

It is an unseasonably windy day, with a full gale blowing in from the southwest. Apart from a scattering of heavy showers, it's not a bad day at all. I head for a church service in the Church of Scotland on Matheson Road. On the way there, all sorts of things are blowing about. Dustbins, cones, you name it. There is nobody about, apart from the odd minibus ferrying people to church. I am unfamiliar with the CoS service format. On entering the church, one of the church elders shakes me by the hand and gives me a hymnal. I sit down about halfway down the church; everybody sits as far back as possible. Only the back half of the church is occupied, along with seating on the balcony. We set off with the minister entering the pulpit. His good morning is echoed back by the congregation. Two psalms are sung, the singing incidentally accompanied by an electronic organ. I don't know the tunes, but manage fine in my parroting act. Parish notices are read out, then the children are set out to their separate Sunday School. We sing a paraphrase, which is a section of Old Testament, set to music. Readings ensue from the New Testament, and most of the congregation read long out of their own bibles. After a hymn, the minister launches into his sermon. He does a good job relating the scriptures to everyday life, even cracking a joke: How do you know St Peter was a Christian? He asked for his mother-in-law to be cured. Minister Black also gave a gentle dig to his brethren in the Free Church, regarding Sabbath Observation. Quite good. Have a brief word with several members of the congregation on the way out, at 12.15, and thank the minister. It's still blowing hard on the way back to Newton. The other two guests have gone out to Arnish lighthouse. I head out to walk to the Iolaire monument at 2.15. Take pictures of the crashing waves and conclude it's blowing a steady force 8. Go round the coastguard station, then down Millar Road and round the shore to Lower Sandwick. Beyond that village, I head across country to the monument, where I arrive at 2.50. It's quite spectacular, with big, 10 ft high, waves rolling in off the Minch. The wind touches force 9 on the headland. It's a mild afternoon, with the temperature at around 17C. I sit down for about 15 minutes to admire the scenery. I think of the 205 sailors who drowned there 86½ years ago, and how close to shore they were. If you ever go there, you'll see a pillar about 20 metres off shore, which is where HMY Iolaire went down early on New Year's Day 1919. Return to Newton along the road, then a shortcut past a slightly rundown farm. Don't recommend that particular route, you run into problems with fencing and barbed wire. On return I have to wash the salt off my specs. Mrs B cooks me a nice meal with lamb chops. The gale finally subsides during the evening, leaving a steady force 6 through the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment