Thursday 4 May 2006

Thunder

Tonight (May 4th), Scotland was rocked by thunderstorms. As I'll write in today's entry, even Stornoway had 3 lightning discharges, one power dip and one powercut. I'm told that Glasgow had a huge electrical storm.

Thunder in the Hebrides is rare. It can only occur if the difference in temperature between the bottom and the top of a cloud is more than -40 degrees C. As I speak, there is very warm air over England (temps reached 29C there). Stornoway reached 15C, but the air 'upstairs' must be extremely cold to spark off a thunderstorm. The last time I had thunder was in January 2005, in the middle of a snow, sleet, hailstorm. It left 2 inches of ice on the spinal route of the island, reducing traffic to a crawl.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting.  I love thunderstorms (as long as I'm not out in them).  I love to go to sleep to the sound of thunger.  I hope everyone's powers is back on by now.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last really good thunder storm I saw was in the late 60's in London and I hid behind a door (shame on me ) as I was sooooo scared!! In my own defence I have to say it was the middle of the night and it woke me up with the deafening crashes of the thunder and lightening was flashing across the room......reflection I suppose but it scared me!!1

    ReplyDelete