Friday 17 November 2006

Boozy Teens

Revealing news item this afternoon: 14% of 14-year olds in the UK have an alcohol dependency. That's shocking. There is a drink-culture in this country, called "the great night out". Quite a few teens admit to drinking a litre of vodka in a night. The sad thing is that this has its adverse effect on health, both now and in the future. Long term heavy drinking leads to liver disease, and potentially (see the late George Best) the necessity for a liver transplant. Methinks it's a serious indictment of society that we have crowds of teenagers staggering about our streets at night, creating mayhem.

Although alcohol cannot legally be sold to under 18s, it is a recognised practice for under-age drinkers to ask an older person to buy it for them. The low price of alcohol is also a contributory factor. It is cheaper to buy certain alcoholic drinks than it is to buy bottled water.

5 comments:

  1. So sad, same problem here.
    Sugar

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am pretty much resigned now to Doc developing cirrhosis.  He is not doing anything much now except drinking.  He makes his liquor runs, watches TV or film, listens to music, and deteriorates.  He is not interested in the Internet which is why I can talk about him in my journal. I tell him if I post a drawing, but after looking at how well the Internet made them look, he has shown no further interest in the Internet. I just don't feel him developing any of the resolve it would take to curb his drinking.  I withdraw a little more all the time, and he just contemplates death more, talks about his Mother's younger brother dying of alcoholism around his age.  He seems to see living as too much bother.  I am going to have to go to the library and research the symptoms of cirrhosis so I can tell when he is starting to go down.  I had an uncle, once removed, who died of cirrhosis, but drank until the end!  I asked him today if he was prepared to go into hospice when he got bad, that I could not nurse him at home very long. Do I regret my involvement? No.  He is an extremely gifted man, who no longer has the will to live. Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow at age 14 we didn't even THINK of alcohol.  We were riding our bikes, rollerskating, playing!  My son is now 14 and he wouldn't take a drink if it were offered to him.  Even if I were the one offering!  I tested this once. I asked him if he'd like to taste my glass of wine.  He said "EEEWWWwww....mom I don't want to drink alcohol!"  I hope that attitude stays with him.  I know eventually he'll try it.  <sigh>
     How do the kids get like that?  So sad.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Guido
    this si awful .. kids may get someone older to buy for them here perhaps but in Europe they can go toa bar and get served! did Holland ever think of reversing that law?
    hugs,nat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guido how did your parents handle the social pressure among your peers to drink? I ask you because one of my kids would like to visit Europe later
    natalie

    ReplyDelete