Thursday 23 August 2007

Afternoon notes

AOL Webmail is down at the moment, am awaiting its resurrection. Weather has taken a turn for the worse, with mist and drizzle returning. It's not cold outside, went to the shops without a coat as I've been doing all week. 16C nearly constitutes a heatwave here.

It would appear that although hurricane Dean has left a trail of destruction behind, with several billion dollars' worth of damage, but relatively few fatalities. None in Mexico.

I was saddened to hear of the loss of lives in the American Mid-West following severe flooding, brought on by the remnants of tropical depression Erin. This system reinvigorated over land and dumped vast amounts of rain over states from Texas northeast to Ohio. Eleven are known to have died so far.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't watched the news over the last couple of days so I was unaware that the midwest had flooding. I hope nobody else gets hurt or killed. Thanks for your updates Guido. Sometimes I think that unless I read your journal I'll be totally in the dark as to what is going on in the world!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw your change of weather on the news this evening Guido and I thought of you in the rain.  
    I am so happy we have decent weather now.  
    How awful to read too, that the Mid-West of America experienced devastating floods with so many fatalities.   Julie, of MidWestVintage, did mention some scary black hail and rain laden clouds on one of her journal entries.  It soon passed over her though.   Thank God!
    There seems to be so much bad weather news these days.  Far too much!
    I am truly thankful that we have not had to suffer floods here in the Lakes.

    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. USA northeast corrider acting oddly, a chilly 62 F when this is high 80's time.  Headed for a weekend in the 90's F too.  Strange.  CATHY

    ReplyDelete