Wednesday 25 May 2005

Balallan - 18/05/05

Went down to Balallan at lunchtime to try to walk across to Achmore. It's a 7 mile hike which looks doable on the map. So, I arrive at the busshelter in the sunshine and go on the rough track that leads round Gasabhal, the hill behind Balallan West End. Bearing right, I soon come out north of Loch Cuthaig and being winding my way round the lochs. The hill of Trealabhal, just over 110 m in height, is a commanding presence, but not as much as Roineabhal, 3 miles away. Next loch is Loch Cul Airigh a Flod, then Loch Airigh na Ceardaich. Everything goes swimmingly until I reach the causeway at grid reference 281235. This is broken and submerged for about 1/3 of its length. So, I trudge round the southern shore of Loch nam Faoileag in an attempt to cross the outflow of the Abhainn Lacasaigh / Laxay River. This is impossible, as the outflow aperture in the dam is 3 m / 10 ft wide. The stepping stones are no use, so I carry on down the Laxay River. Quite pretty in places, but I can but wave at Achmore, now 4 miles to the north. There are more stepping stones, but they're no use. Too wobbly, river is too deep and too wide at any rate. At Creag Latharbaidh I strike inland, due south for Balallan East End. A man is cutting peats. A trashed car sits by the side of the track, and it won't do any more miles than the 45308 on the clock. Have to wait for about 20 minutes for the return bus. As on the outbound voyage, I chat to Sally. A lad from Carloway is said to have swallowed petrol, and has had to be taken to Yorkhill Hospital in Glasgow. Later that evening the rain starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment