Saturday 14 January 2006

Friday 13/01/06

Today I am starting book 7 of the hand-written diary, at page 907. From October 8th, 2004, I started making daily entries on Northern Trip, or almost daily. However, when the computers in Stornoway library were down for more than a month after Christmas 2004, I decided to start taking down written notes. I caught up with the two months before October 2004 in the summer of 2005.

On with today's happenings.

After an overnight lull, the gales are back in all their ferocity in the morning. Today however, there is a good deal of sunshine around. Showers come around every now and again, but it's not cold. Winds are going at a steady force 7 to 8, with gusts up to force 10. Spume flies across the Basin, and huge waves crash behind Arnish Light. Nonetheless, the Irish fishing boat Neptune, from Sligo, decides to set forth. With tremendous difficulty, on account of the wind, she leaves port. High seas meet her off Arnish, washing over her deck and she almost looks as if she'll be going under. I dash out to the Coastguard Station to have a look, but all is well. It's binday today, so bins are strewn all over Newton Street. Have some soup for lunch, then go out to pick up my latest batch of pictures. As I'm in the library scanning them, the ferry appears on the horizon. She makes for the harbour entrance, only to make a sharp right turn and keep hovering outside until Isle of Lewis finally docks at 3.45. The fresh vegetable shelves in Somerfields are bare, and the staff are anxious for supplies. I encounter Mrs B and her sister in the supermarket. The winds are abating now. There are reports of structural damage and boats sheltering in Broad Bay. Ferry leaves for Ullapool again at 4.30. Other ferries are still cancelled. Rain moves in at 5pm. After dinner, a shower comes past which carries severe squalls. But as I return to Somerfields later in the evening, it's dry and clear. I end up in a queue of full trollies, but one lady very kindly lets me in front - I only have two items. Ferry comes back at 10.40 pm. The occasional shower keeps putting in an appearance, but no more squalls.

No comments:

Post a Comment