Wednesday 8 November 2006

Elections

Commenting on the US Congressional elections, which appear to be dealing a heavy blow to the presidency of George W. Bush. The House of Representatives (at this stage, 6.53AM EST) appears to have been taken over by the opposition Democratic party. Whether the Senate will go the same way still to be decided.

I note that a number of referendums are also being held, most notably in South Dakota where a blanket ban of abortions, passed by the State's legislature, has been overturned by voters.

Having read journals on a regular basis for about 6 months now, I have to say that the US appears to me as a country where the have-nots are mostly left to fend for themselves. I have noticed that, particularly in the healthcare sector, people are being charged through the nose for diagnostic tests, treatment, and that the insurance company decides when a patient should be discharged, not the doctor.

For those who are unfamiliar with the European healthcare model, in the UK we have the National Health Service, set up in 1948. You can see a doctor for free, but have to pay for dental treatment. Prescription medicines carry a charge, currently £6.65 per medicine (this is roughly $12). However, as annual costs of a medicine can exceed £35,000 p/a, this is not a huge amount. Many people are exempt, e.g. those under 18 or over 60, and those claiming certain benefits. Elsewhere in Europe, health care is funded by a mixture of state contribution and private health insurance.

Going back to my perception of the USA, it was born of the aftermath of hurricane Katrina. There were 3 days of inertia, followed by frenetic activity to save lives and rehouse the homeless. I keep seeing documentaries on TV which show the current state of affairs around New Orleans and on the Gulf Coast. Little has been done, really.

I continue to have a natural affinity with the US, as a large section of its society is of European descent. Some people hate Americans with a vengeance - on account of their government's policy. That's wrong. You should take people as individuals.

3 comments:

  1. Yes our health care system leaves a lot to be desired.  If you have none, it's tough to get good care.  Hospitals have to stabilize you by law....but not much else.  
    During RN school I had no $$ to buy health insurance.  They literally told me I couldn't qualify for help because I was from THIS country.  Had I been from....say....Mexico....I could have gotten help.   Crazy, huh?
    I remember the girl sitting there looking at me and literally telling me "Honey...you've got the wrong color skin!"  WOW!

    Years ago I thought maybe Hillary Clinton was going to help with the health care system.  Then, she couldn't do it.  I wonder what will eventually be done.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's important to remember that all countires have their good points & their bad points.  I remember years ago, some friends of mine were visiting me from Alberta Canada.  We were discussing the socialized medicine issue.  At that time their property taxes for their home & the lot it sat on were almost 3 times the taxes on my place.  Like he said, we can see the doctor for practically free but look...we're paying thru the nose elsewhere.  And I know a lot of Canadians come down to the US for certain procedures because the wait in Canada is forever.  And on the other hand, busloads of people go to Canada to buy their medicines becuase they are much cheaper up north.  I don't think there is a perfect government anywhere.  For one thing they are all run by imperfect human beings.  I hope no one hates us too much...we are just people...like everyother person.  Linda in Washington state  

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am listening to our president right now who appears to be trying to restore a little bit of faith in his ability to make progress with the Iraq problem, and in those he has appointed, as Rumsfield.  We still have a couple of more years with his presidency. I think a change of party in command will probably happen if the democrats can just find an attractive candidate.  I don't think that would be Kerry or Hilary Clinton or Joe Lieberman even though he was very elated with his resounding victory in his congressman run.  I hope he sticks to that post rather than imagining his win is a signal he should run for president.  Sometimes men who can't win find a way to become the candidate.  They will have to restrain themselves.  Gerry

    ReplyDelete