Thursday 30 September 2004

Aberdeen and Inverness - 30/09/04

For the first time in weeks, I had a room (or more accurately: a cabin)to myself. At 7 a.m., I found myself in a rain- and windswept Aberdeen.Delayed my departure from the ferry until the latest possible hour.Slouched off into the city at 10 a.m.. First thing needed: a town plan.Second: a post office, to send off maps and other stuff related toOrkney that was no longer required. A dark-coloured lady tried to chatme up in the PO, what a laff. Spent the rest of the morning slopinground the soaking-wet streets, with that bloody big pack on my back.Want to find the library, but Aberdeen, the Granite City, is very greyand even greyer in this rain. After I buy a pastry in a shop, andmiserably eat it on a bench, I locate the library. I walked past itseveral times during 40 minutes, just past the Robert GordonUniversity. No, the library wasn't that great either. Few terminals,very limited time, and the terminal I was on crashed. Went to thestation and found there was a train to Inverness at around 3pm. I wason it. Aberdeen I just do not like. Folk are friendly enough. Traindeparted at 3.25 and it was pretty full. As we went east, the rainrelented although it stayed overcast right the way through. I can't sayI'm riveted by the Moray or Aberdeenshire countryside - sorry, was in afoul mood all day that day. Arrived in Inverness at 5pm, and bookedinto the Youth Hostel on Millburn Drive. Then went back to the Safewaysfor shopping. Had a lot of bother finding my way round, I had becomequite used to the Co-op and Safeway stores in Kirkwall. Cooked supper,did the laundry, went on the Internet using vouchers. Fairly good deal:£1 for 20 minutes, or 24 minutes if you join the club. As membershipwas free, I gladly joined back in Kirkwall. Show a couple of younghostellers how to use the laundry machines. There is a group ofdisabled kids in who are on a trip out of Shetland. In Inverness, youcan only get into the rooms using a swipe card. Some strange charactersin my room tonight. Typical Mediterraneans, don't like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment