Sunday 19 September 2004

Sunday 19/09/04

Just after I finish breakfast, I meet some of the other guests in thehostel. They are here to meet family in Pierowall. The weather isn'ttoo bad after last night's downpours. Walk down the village mainstreet, then head off into th eback country. My mapreading leaves a lotto be desired when I end up on the shores of Loch of Burness. I have toretrace my steps to find a farm track that leads me west past the loch,next I go north. I finally hit the road just ¼ mile west of NoltlandCastle. You can walk around the ruins of the castle. On the outskirtsof Pierowall village, I once more turn north into the golflinks. Not inuse as such due to sandblow and the activities of rabbits, who dig hugeholes in the greens. I reach Grobust beach, then clamber back over allthe barbed wires. Can see the lighthouse at Noup Head a few miles tothe west. It's a grey, blowy sort of day, and rather cold. Next step onmy expedition is a trip to Noup Head, along a winding road. It's quitepretty with some fantastic views. The road goes past the other Westrayhostel, Bis Geo. This is fairly high up the slopes of Couters Hill. Theformal road ends at Noup Farm, but a good farmtrack carries on up NorthHill, past some derelict buildings. The wind is picking up. After Itake a break, I press on to Noup Head, by the lighthouse. The fullforce of the westerly gale hits me there, and I have great difficultykeeping my footing. On this exposed headland, it's a full force 9. Imanage to labour up the hill beside the lighthouse. This is where Istand 76 metres / 255 feet above the sea, being pummelled by the wind.Views very good, all the way down the west coast of Westray and as faras Rousay, 10 miles to the south. Very cautiously, I commence thecoastline walk, southeast. It's up and down over stiles, alongprecipitous cliffs all the way to Bis Geos. Here the rain commences,and I turn inland past a pen full of bleating sheep and fields withcattle. Regain the road back to Pierowall. As I carry on back down thehill, it is positively pouring with rain and very cold with it. Walkinto the village past the school. Dive into the loos, if only to be outof the relentless downpour. Return to the Barn at 4.30. Have to be verycareful on the flagstones outside. Spend the rest of the eveninginside. On arrival, I was welcomed by the daughter of the proprietrix,with her brood of young kids. She told stories of spring nights spenton the island of Faray, between Westray and Eday. There are buildingson that island, but only one is habitable. The rainfall today waspainful in the wind.

Weblinks:
Bis Geos Hostel: http://www.bisgeos.co.uk/
Westray on Undiscovered Scotland: http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/westray/westray/

No comments:

Post a Comment