Tuesday 7 September 2004

Back to Kirkwall - 07/09/04

Today, I'll be leaving Shetland to return to Orkney. At breakfast, I'm having a very pleasant conversation with a South African lady who is touring Scotland. She is going to Mousa Broch today. After flapping about in town for a bit, I jump on the bus to Sumburgh at 12, together with the SA lady. She gets off at the top of the hill from Mousa; I carry on to the airport. Plane not due to leave until 3.30, so I go for a walk round the airport. It's a pleasantly sunny day. Leave the terminal and turn right, past the end of the runway and on to a beach. A RIB is launched as I'm sitting in the dunes. Nearby is the Viking site of Jarlshof, which is comparable to Skara Brae in Orkney, but not as old. A boat leaves from Sumburgh to Foula. At length, I return to the airport to wait. YAWN. We finally, finally take off at 4pm, to arrive in Kirkwall at 5. I'm delivered outside the YH by the airport bus, but now there is no bed for me. Didn't book it. Try the B&B across the road, but no luck. Hobble into town and seated outside St Magnus I start to ring round. The St Ola hotel on the harbour still has a room. For £34 I get a posh, high-ceilinged, en-suite poo-poo room. Don't do a lot for the rest of the evening.

Picture

No comments:

Post a Comment