Tuesday 28 September 2004

On yer bike - 28/09/04

The weather has quietened down since Sunday's gale, and there is nowonly a gentle greeze. I go into town to hire a pushbike. At 11, Ipaddle down the Old Scapa Road after a preliminary circuit of the towncentre. This took me down Junction Road to the Orkney Ferries terminal,then along all sorts of back roads to the cathedral. At 11.10, I'mheading southwest along the A964 towards Orphir. It's a nice, sunny dayand make good progress. Consider a shortcut at Kirbister to Finstown,but don't like the prospect of hills. Have an interchange with atourist bus, all along the road to Scapa Garage. On arrival at HoutonTerminal, it's 12.30. It's a steep descent from the main road. Niceview across to Hoy. There are two piers here, one of which is theterminal for the ferry to Lyness, Hoy. Watch the world go by behind theferry office, then head off when the ferry comes in. By that time, I'vefinished lunch. Back up the hill to the main road, then left towardsBrig o'Waithe. The view opens out to Graemsay and Stromness, but it's along, long way to the A965, particularly with a headwind. Backside getssorer and sorer as I go along, but ** finally ** I gain the main road.Turn right and am now running the gauntlet of all the traffic. Pass thesideroad to the monuments, then stop off at a petrol station to buy anicecream and a coke. As I progress further east, the weather decidesit's warm enough for a shower. So, at the corner of the A986, I hide inthe busshelter to don my waterproofs. Reach Finstown without furthermishap. Here I decide to go to Kirkwall along the Old Finstown Road, ifonly to avoid the traffic. Well, I'm not very good at hills and thereis a lot of traffic on this road as well. Decide on a break a littleway west of Smerquoy Farm, but sitting in the verge of the road isn'tthat nice either. Get overtaken by a full schoolbus, and finally sailinto Kirkwall at 5pm. Blimey, wasn't I knackered. Return the bike tothe shop on Tankerness Lane, drop into the Internet Café across theroad. This is part of an IT training enterprise, which also servescoffee and snacks. Return to the hostel after shopping at Safeways.

No comments:

Post a Comment