Sunday 3 October 2004

Boreraig and Suisnish - 03/10/04

After breakfast I was taken to Broadford, so that at 10 a.m., I wasalready heading down the Marble Line path again. Fairly bright day, andthe path ahd had a chance to dry out. The crossing of the stilepresented no big problems, and at midday I was back at Boreraig. Had abit to eat, then resumed the trek at 12.20. The only thing was that bynow, a big wall of grey had moved in from the west. After passingthrough Boreraig, the path became a narrow and precarious affairthrough rock and stone. Had to encourage sheep to move out of my way.It meanwhile started to rain with gusto, which made the path all themore hazardous. Due south of Carn Dearg, the path went up a crazilysteep incline. With a little bit of handiwork, I arrived on theclifftop above Suisnish at 1.25. The view, for as much as there was,switched round to one of Strathaird and Loch Slapin. I found outyesterday that my boots were knackered. They are letting in water bythe bucketfull, and I'm beginning to feel chilly. The passage throughSuisnish is absolutely sodden. The path leads above the present-dayfarm buildings, then veers north. I slowly progress towards theroad-end at Camas Malag. At 2.15, I encounter an elderly couple whowant to go to Suisnish and ask me how far it is. Fifty minutes. I was abit concerned because of their unsuitable footwear. Did not comment onthat to their faces though. Arrived at Camas Malag at 2.30, and satdown on a hill just north of the road end. The rain had relented andwas now showery. After half an hour, I carried on to the main road atKilbride. This leads past a marble quarry, with the showers still goingon. From that point, I had to walk along the B8083 Elgol - Broadfordroad. Not much of a bother because of light traffic. It just got alittle hairy along Loch Kilchrist, as I didn't have a lot of leeway,and the road runs along the loch shore. At Kilchrist, I cut through thewilderness to the Marble Line Path. I did not fancy a 3 mile roadwalk.It's a bit of a chore, and have to jump barbed wire, but I gain thepath. Sit under a bridge to avoid a shower, then head north down thenow-familiar curves of the Marble Line. At Broadford, I discover a deadsheep at the point where the path goes back to the road. From thevillage, I nip back to Kyleakin by Citylink bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment