Monday 18 October 2004

Raasay revisited - 18/10/04

Another trip down the A87 to Sconser, and a busdriver who (or so I discovered 7 hours late) sold me a dud ticket. Nevis 'n' Coe is nowhere near Skye. Took the ferry to Raasay at 10.45, and once again arrived at the Suisinish Terminal. This time round after my visit to the shop, I went to see Raasay House. Had a cup of coffee there. The place had been well refurbished since last visit in 1995, and looked nice. If a bit deserted. The history of the house was recorded there, but not in the way I was used to. Dr Green, locally infamous for blocking all progress on Raasay between 1967 and 1979 was 'exonerated' in the info-folder there. Have to put that to the local press, because I've never read that version before. They blame it all on obstruction by the Highlands & Islands Development Board. Anyway, after the cuppa, I wound my way up the island's main road as far as Glame. This included a lunchbreak, with completely inedible rolls, soggy and all, at the path to Dun Ca'an. Could see Portree from there across the water. Had thought to go up the hill again, but didn't fancy another bog trudge. So on return from Glame, I also considered hobbling the mile down to Inver, through a field of frisky rams. Raring for the rear, if you like. Didn't do it, because of time constraints. Spent some time mooching around Raasay Hostel, which is in a poor state. It was still the same as it was left in October 2003, when it closed, not to be reopened this year. Bike shed with two bikes in it, open to the elements. An old bathtub, that was still there from 1995. Building was locked, but Nil Mutandur. Nothing had changed. Pity it was closed for the season and the year. Saw the visitors' book, dates 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003. Not 2004. Lost in memories, I ambled on, only to be offered a lift. Nah, plenty of time. I'll be fine, even if it's raining. Proceeded down the road, and meandered my way round to the mining track, in the vain hope of finding my lost mitten. It is so cold. The ferry arrived at 4.25, but didn't leave till 5.00. And once on the other side, I still had to wait more than 30 mins for the bus. Oh well, Raasay is pretty. Back at the hostel, I played a game or two with a family with two young teenagers; June (mum), Davie and Hannah. Beat Davie at chess, but that wasn't quite an equal context. He was concentrating more on the TV than on the board, so he lost resoundingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment