Thursday 7 October 2004

Portree and Trotternish - 07/10/04

The weather today is very unpleasant, so I go on a shopping trip toPortree. MNy boots need to be replaced, they have been letting in waterno end. A mapcase would come in handy too, as would (perhaps) newwaterproof trousers. Arrive into Portree at 11 a.m. and start off inanoutdoor shop. No fitting boots here, although I can finally start touse a mapcase rather than a Morrisons shopping bag. Try Jansport, onthe other side of Somerled Square, for an honest attempt at bootbuying, but still no joy., The library has restricted opening hours. Asit's 12.30, I nip into the restaurant opposite the library forlunch. Can't say I'm impressed. Slow, disinterested service, food bland- avoid. At 1 pm, I head off for a tourist trail run aroundTrotternish. My Skye Rover, £5, allows me free travel all over theisland all day, so off I go. Past the Old Man of Storr, after abalancing act along the shores of Loch Fada and Loch Leathan. The Storris 719m high. Proceed north, right up to Staffin, where the little roadacross the Quiraing goes west. At Floddigarry, two hostellers alightfor the hostel down the road. The remarkable tablelands of Trotternishrear up to the left. Pass the Duntulm Hotel, where I was in mid-August.A radiotransmitter stands on a hill above the road. This continues highabove the sea, perched precariously on a cliff. A man joins the bushere, telling all who want to hear that he will be working on theCalmac ferries this weekend. Past Flora MacDonald's monument and southtowards Idrigill and Uig. On arrival there, the driver picks up a paperin the piershop. At Portree, half an hour later, I join the Kyleakinbus. Although the weather is dry now, it's looking very dreich on thereturn to Broadford and Kyleakin.

No comments:

Post a Comment