Thursday 18 November 2004

Gravir and Lemreway - 17/11/04

In the entry for 16/11/04 I mentioned a picture. Found that the settings in Stornoway library didn't allow me to transfer the scanned image to the journal. Grrr.

Set off on walk at 10am this morning, walking up the hill towards Garyvard. On the top, an inviting looking track went south, into the moors. As I dislike road walking, I jumped over the gate and headed off. The weather is pretty awful today, frequent showers and a strong westerly wind. The track deteriorated gradually as I encountered lochan after lochan, finally expiring at the southern arm of Loch nan Caor. So I took out the old compass and set a southerly course for Glen Gravir. The ground was wet, but not excessively so, and I made reasonable progress over the moors. Had to take bearings on surrounding hills, but by 11.30 I stood above Loch nan Eilean, a lake of just under a mile long with various promontories and islets in it. Wound my way along its western shore, not literally by the water's edge, but at a little distance. Had lunch at midday by the southern shore, only to run into severe problems on setting off at 12.20. Headed off due south and into long grass and into deep water which sloshed over the tops of my boots. Straight back. Overlooked the outflow of a tiny lochan a little further up, it turned out. With very cold feet proceeded south and finally achieved Glen Gravir at 1.10. I even managed to find the road in the glen, and came to Gravir junction some 10 minutes later. The weather was still changeable, although it seemed to be brightening up a little. Temperatures not very high, 5-8C. Headed up the road towards Lemreway / Leumrabhagh, and when I crested the moor, that was the point where the gale really struck. Had difficulty walking in a straight line, no not because of drink. From the hill above Lemreway, you can see the island off its harbour, Eilean Liubhaird, the Shiant Islands and the Isle of Skye 20 miles to the south. Very pretty, but not in current weather conditions. Walked around the village for about an hour, in that gale. Was actually waiting for a bus - which never turned up. Turns out you have to phone 2 hours in advance, which I didn't know about. Set off north at 3.30, just before sunset. It began to get dark by the time I reached Gravir again, at 4.10. The remaining miles were covered in increasing darkness, and I made my presence knownwith my torch. Didn't see much after the Cromor turning, except the dazzling main-beam headlights of on-coming cars. The moon rose behind me, as I battled against the gale, the extremely painful hailshowers and the bl**dy cars. Finally reached the hostel at 5.45, some 10 miles and 2 h 15 after leaving Lemreway. Dear me. Nothing on the telly, dinner wasn't much to speak of either.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment