Saturday 27 November 2004

Thanksgiving - 25/11/04

Came into town this morning and noticed that several of the shops displayed notices that they would be open today, as if that was something unusual for a Thursday. Well, it is if that Thursday is Thanksgiving. Something that I am hardly familiar with, but the strictly religious Lewisians observe by taking a bank holiday. Found myself nearly kicked out of a bookshop at 1.30. There were loads of people on the buses, even young children at 10 in the morning. They'd normally be in the school, I should think. The weather today was grey and very dark. Just after 1.30, it started to rain and when I reported to the busstation for the journey back to Balallan and Kershader, the light in the town hall clock was on. This was at 1.55! Several large carparks were lit up. On the bus back, people were carrying huge amounts of shopping - it seems the Christmas season has finally arrived. In the evening, I said farewell to the other hosteller, he is off to Findhorn to sort their computer problems. Findhorn was on the television the other night, it is a spiritual community east of Inverness. Not quite my piece of cake. I might feel more comfortable in Iona.

No comments:

Post a Comment