Saturday 27 November 2004

Wilderness Walk - 26/11/04

This morning dawned brighter than the day before, and I merrily set off at around 9.50 for a hike across the moors. Went over the fence at the Abhainn Ealaidh, on the boundary with Habost, and tried to head southwest. Bit of a problem with the fences, but managed to reach the open moor eventually. I had left my compass in the hostel, so had to play very carefully with the map and the sun. Skirting three large lochans at a distance, I veered in a quarter-circle to Loch na Cartach, just off Loch Sgiobacleit. Then headed south towards the eastern end of the latter loch. It was very wet indeed on the moors, and at times I felt I needed a boat rather than waterproof boots. Reached the little footbridge across the inflow of L. Sgiobacleit (gridref 320160) at around 12 noon, and proceeded along the loch's southern bank. Took my lunch on a small promontory. Noticed an eagle gliding over the hills to the south of me. At 12.50, I reached Seaforth Head and decided to head due south into the wilderness. This was wetter than wet. Several times I slid on the slimey ground, but managed the one mile to Loch Airigh Thormoid. That name actually means Lake of Norman's Summer Meadow (I think). It was 13.30, and although I contemplated going further south, theneast towards Eishken, the lack of remaining daylight hours (only 2½) meant that this was not possible. Returned by the same route, and the same bogslog. Was glad to reach the road at 2.30. This time a buzzard hovered overhead, mewing intermittently. The difference between an eagle and a buzzard is the sheer size of the eagle and the rounded wingtips of the buzzard. Am wondering if it is possible to reach Airidh a Bhruaich from here. It means a 4 mile walk along the northern bank of Loch Seaforth. There were no problems during the 90 minutes it took me to come to the Landraiders' Monument at Balallan. Although I had planned to take the bus at 4.30, a family in a car very kindly offered me a lift to Kershader, so I reached there at 4.30, nice and on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment