Thursday 26 August 2004

Callanish - 26/08/04

My luck finally seems to have run out on the weatherfront: it's raining today. Head down to the Callanish Stones at lunchtime. On arrival there, I first of all make for the restaurant for a sandwich and soup. Then I browse through an exhibition about the stones, after I finally locate somebody to pay my entrance fee to. Interesting. After that, I step outside to brave the elements. This is my second visit to Callanish, and like 10 years ago, it's grey and wet. Before the bus comes just after 3, I have time to hobble down the road towards Garynahine to view two smaller stone circles, Callanish II and III. Nearly needed a boat, it was very soggy. The ruined houses nearby did little to lift the mood. I was glad when the bus came to take me back to Stornoway. It went the long way round, through Carloway and Barvas. Not many on board, until we pulled up outside the primary school in Carloway. We waited for about 10 minutes, then the little darlings came out. Some were collected by parents, but a lot came on board. We first of all went up to a small housing estate on the Pentland Road to drop some kiddies off. Others were deposited around Garenin and Upper Carloway. Continued through the rain to Shawbost School, where a similar exercise was conducted. Here were both primary and lower secondary pupils, boarding a few minutes apart. The driver barked at the kids to keep quiet, sit still, stop faffing about with the seatbelts. He even stopped the bus for that. After an excursion up a sidestreet and all the way into Barvas, we finally returned to Stornoway at 4.50. Went for supper in the Crown, then reported to the Town Hall at 8 o'clock for a concert by the Blazing Fiddles. It took me a little while to work out which door would give access to the hall. Concert was a rousing success, and the usual informal atmosphere prevailed. Kids running about, people popping to the loo and being invited to join in if they knew the tune. Concert finished at 10.15, and I returned to the B&B. Mrs Burns invited me to share a dram with herself and two of her sons. Things got very convivial, and I was even invited to play the keyboard. Bedtime at 1 o'clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment