Friday 13 August 2004

Friday 13/08/04

Although Friday 13th is not a good day for the superstitious, I nonetheless head out in glorious sunshine and make for Arisaig. Fort William TIC was unable to book anything at all for me yesterday, but did advise me to knock on doors in the village. So, there I was at 9.50, knocking on doors in Arisaig. Natives were friendly, a lady very kindly rang round for me. I finally ended up in an annex room of the Old Library, a pretty expensive affair. Fifty quid if memory serves. The room had a sliding door which could not be locked. In the afternoon, I headed out for a walk at the back of the village, heading out towards the farm at Kinloid. You have to go up past the church and the school, then cross the Arisaig by-pass in the A830. It's really warm, and I'm soon puffing. Pass through the yard of Kinloid farm, then set off up a track up the hill. Gate a bit awkward under the railway viaduct. Finally reach the transmitter mast, which affords a nice view all round to Rhum, Eigg and north to Skye. Am tempted to proceed further uphill, but stop short of Sgurr an t-Sasunnaich. Lounge in the sun, out of the wind on the top of a hillock for some time. Then I return to Kinloid and Arisaig. Very warm. On return to the village, I come across some folks on pushbikes who have a job negotiating the hill. Have dinner in the Old Library at 7 pm, then head down the road for a beer. Sit just a table away from some familiar faces from Eigg, such as DJ. Everybody's doings are being discussed. Head back to my wee room for the night

1 comment:

  1. Pity they had a fire in the Old Library in 2005. Some of the rooms got damaged, and if I read the reports correctly, my room was among them :-(. Arisaig is a pleasant little place, but don't expect too much. Good places to eat, but do book.

    ReplyDelete