Tuesday 31 August 2004

Helmsdale - 31/08/04

On a bright and sunny morning, I went to the ferry terminal at 9.30. People were boarding a pleasure boat for a trip to the Summer Isles off Achiltibuie. The Stornoway ferry also came in to dock, and the Citylink / Rapsons coaches pulled in for Inverness passengers. I elected to go on the bus, but only as far as Dingwall. Once the ferry passengers are on, we set off towards Braemore junction. The driver was a bit surprised that I wanted off in Dingwall, but that's my business. On arrival there, the driver very kindly directed me to the railway station, as I had decided to head north. Arrived at 11.25, which left me about 50 minutes until the northbound train was due to leave. Walked down the town's high street to the railway station, where I had a coffee in an old-fashioned waiting room. The Kyle train came in first, followed some 20 minutes later by the Thurso train. It's fairly warm today. We pulled away - only to stop 50 m down the platform. Due to a technical fault we had to wait 45 minutes for the thing to get fixed. Finally, amidst a sarcastical cheer, we headed off at 1 o'clock. Along the Beauly Firth up to Tain, then west to Ardgay and the forested slopes along the Kyle of Sutherland. A few folk got off at Culrain, for Carbisdale Castle YH. Proceeded on to Larig and back to the coast past Rogart and Dunrobin Castle. We pulled into Helmsdale at around 2 pm. As the YH does not open until 5, I have a little while. Spend some time at the harbour, using the Internet facilities in a craftshop. Go out to the pier above the harbour. By 5 o'clock, I went for my shopping in the local Spar. Can't really find what I want, but that cannot be helped. Finally report to the YH, where a pleasant young lady books me in and shows me the ropes and something more interesting besides. Have a natter with other hostellers through the evening before going out for an evening amble. Later on, everybody joins in the convo. Jess, the warden, does this for a year before moving on elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment