Sunday 3 April 2005

Balallan to Aline - 30/03/05

Having picked up gloves and hat at the busstation, I am given a lift to Balallan by Frederick and Hedwig. Arrive there at 10.40, and give F&H directions for Great Bernera, their destination today. I head west across the moors towards the saddle south of RĂ²ineabhal. After an hour, I reach there, and strike southwest towards Loch Langabhat. Route takes me past Theistabhal, and on, parallel to the eastern shore of the loch. The easterly wind is still blowing, but not as strong as in recent days. In the shelter of the hills, temperature rises to 15C. Bearings have to be taken on various inlets, bays and islands for orientation. Lochs on the far shore also help. Larks sing above Langabhat, otherwise, it’s completely silent. Finally flop down for lunch on the slopes of Cleit Faobh at 1.15. It’s warm there, and the insects are a nuisance, I don’t like “insect roll”. Across the water a lonely hut stands on the bank. Can see the hills of Uig far away, and the Morsgail hills closer by. As I resume the journey, a couple of hoodies object to my presence and mob me. I am too high up at any rate, right underneath a rocky escarpment. Once I’m down from there, the bogslog resumes and I slowly pass the long valley that leads east towards Airigh a’Bhruaich. Reach the stalkers’ track at Langabhat at 2.40. Sun myself for about 20 minutes, enjoying the views here. At 3 o’clock sharp, I set off for the 7 km hike to Aline. Up on the pass, the easterly wind is quite keen, but the view down Loch Seaforth compensates. Reach the road at 4.15, but have to wait 15 minutes for the bus to appear. It’s slightly late. Return to SY at 5.05. F&H take mrs B and myself out for dinner, out of gratitude for our joined hospitality.

1 comment:

  1. Larks...how long is it since I heard a lark sing...what a joy. Kindness is a good feeling, especially when its returned..you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete