Sunday 3 April 2005

Crosbost to Stornoway - 31/03/05

F&H leave for Germany today, on a 3-stage journey which will last about 12 hours. Stops at Glasgow, Manchester, London and finally on to Dusseldorf. From there, they then have to drive about 50 miles west to their homes in Aachen, on the Dutch border. They set off at 7.20. I left rather later, after a spot of shopping and Internet access at the library. The bus to North Lochs departed at 1.10 pm. The driver recognized me as the feller who did not return on the 4.45 on Monday of last week, when the weather was rather wet. Not to worry, I did catch the later bus. Friendly bunch of Liurbost  and Crosbost people on board. Jumped off at Crosbost and walked north to the school, then across the moors to Cnoc Rainich. That came out above Loch Griomsiadar, but I knew that this was a trick in the topography. You have to circle round Loch Beag, a small inlet, in order to be able to reach the village of Griomsiadar. Over the last couple of days, moorburning has been taking place in this area, and I crossed a few blackened and smelly stretches of moor. Descended the steep slope to cross the little river, then headed up the other side of the valley to the houses in Griomsiadar. After a few hundred yards, I branched off on a peatroad, heading east to Loch Capull. Kept going due east beyond that, as they were starting moor fires to the north. Had to veer right round, also to keep the southeasterly wind behind me. Passsed the southern end of Lochan nan Cneamh, having left Griomsiadar village in its deep glen behind. Now veered northeast at 2.45, hoping that the moor burning is not extending right up to the coastline. This is not the case, and I’m safe if a little worried. At 3.30, the flames are clearly visible to my left, only 400 yards away. They are in a semi circle, slowly advancing north, parallel to my course. I’m unhappy to sit within sight of those flames, so I hare off north and soon leave the fire behind me. Huge columns of smoke billow up behind me and spread out across the center of the island. Reach Loch Buaile Bhig at 4.20, in a very thirsty state. Didn’t take enough water with me, so end up drinking out of the loch. Proceed to the dam and downstream to Tòb Leireabhat. From there, I cross to Arnish which I reach at 5 pm. Then it’s just over an hour to Stornoway town center. It’s cloudy but mild (14C) today. Later thatevening, a couple arrive, mr & mrs Legge, who are going to a piping competition at the Caberfeidh Hotel tomorrow morning. They attend piping competitions nationwide; they live at Montrose on the east coast. Frank Burns’ wife Linda is here to receive them, as Barbara has gone out for a family dinner.

1 comment:

  1. Ohhh..they are going..will you keep in touch? Moor burning...heather? or what...and why Pharm.

    ReplyDelete