Sunday 3 April 2005

South Harris - 28/03/05

Easter Monday

Joined F&H in the car for the journey to South Harris. We first do some shopping, I buy this 3rd notebook. We leave town at 11 o’clock. The clock in the town hall tower has not been put forward on Sunday, when summertime came in. It’s sunny and warm, but to the south a bank of cirrus cloud looms. It disperses into altocumulus lenticularis (lens-shaped clouds) as the morning progresses. The drive along the westside of Harris is as spectacular as ever. Arrive at the Seallam Centre at Northton at 12.30. Browse through the exhibition, then set off for a walk through the village. The wind has picked up to force 7, with gusts up to 8. The day is brilliantly sunny, and the sands light up. If only that wind were not so freezing cold. I finally take a lunchbreak on the slopes of Ceapaval, looking out over the Sound of Harris and all the islands. From Pabbay in the west to Berneray in the south, and the Skye Cuillins far in the southeast. As I eat my rolls, I find out that my bus back to SY leaves Northton at around 2.40. It’s 1.45 now, and it has taken me half an hour to get here. Which means I have to hurry up. Can do nothing else hereabouts, not go up Ceapaval nor walk on the sands. Bother. Struggle back through Northton against the wind. As I wait for the bus, the shelter shakes in the force of the gusts. Bus arrives at 2.45, with a familiar driver and a lady I encountered outside Tolsta last week. She is staying with relatives in Liurbost. We also pick up a photographer outside Scarista, and it all developes into a convivial natter. We chat about Taransay, and the fact that one of the environmentally friendly pods now sits outside Losgaintir, on the far side of the beach. Reach Tarbert at 3.20, where there will be a 50 minute break. Which I fill by going to the library. Leave there just as the school goes out. A fleet of buses is waiting, but my bus goes after they have all disappeared. Return to town at 5.05, where mrs B gives me some supper.

1 comment:

  1. You are becoming one of the locals lol.

    ReplyDelete