Thursday 14 April 2005

Pentland Road II - 13/04/05

Went out for a reprise of Monday’s ill-fated trip to the Barvas Hills. This time round I started at 11 a.m.. Weather is still not looking promising; there is this bank of grey cloud moving up from the west. At 12.15, I commence my battle through the moors, and manage to reach the point where I had lunch on Monday afternoon. I press on past the hillock over the should of Beinn Thulabaigh. I am confronted by Loch nan Caorann, which I circle to its eastern point. From there, I head northwest. Initially over the shoulder of Meannan, then on to Beinn Mholach. It’s rough going, but up to the top of the latter hill, which I reach at 1.10; it’s not too horrendous. The view from the summit includes Muirneag, the villages of Back strung out along the coast of Broad Bay, and Point. To the west, Stacaiseal looms up behind a clutter of lochans; Beinn Bragar stands in the distant northwest. And over the hills of Uig, curtains of rain march inexorably east. By 2 o’clock, they reach me. I descend towards Beinn Chaileim around Airigh Lite. I keep to altitude, but end up in a horrifying maze of broken peat. Walls up to 4 feet high, with bogs at the bottom. I have a lot of trouble with it, and when the rain starts I cannot be bothered to toil further. I turn back, going due south from Beinn Mholach, passing Loch Beag na Caorann across its eastern outflow. I reach the road a bit further west, in pouring rain. Returned to SY at 4.45, after a dreary 75 minutes. The sun shines again in the evening.

1 comment:

  1. what are lochans? Did not like the sound of the peat bogs, scary.

    ReplyDelete