Monday 14 January 2008

Evening notes

Although the day started nice enough, we got some rain around 3pm and clouds remained for the rest of the day.

Our freight ferry, MV Muirneag, was 8 hours late coming in - don't know why. Tonight's sailing is cancelled due to adverse weather. The forecast shows nothing worse than a force 6 from the northeast. Muirneag is not the strongest boat in the fleet, with only one engine and no bow thrusters. It ran aground in the Castle Grounds, opposite its berth, in January 2005, when high winds blew it away. In November 2005, it ventured out in the face of a storm, and ended up half-way to the Faroes.

The result of Muirneag not running is fairly serious. She carries our freight, including supplies for the supermarkets. We can expect therefore the same what we had today: empty supermarket shelves, or shelves full of goods that expire the next day, in other word no use.


7 comments:

  1. Thank goodness I can finally comment here,can you tell me hun,is there a problem with journals again? I keep getting blank pages when I try to visit people,sometimes it wont let me comment,sometimes,like now it will,but then teases me by deleting it just as i post,I couldnt get on to journals chat for 24 hours yesterday,as it kept asking me for my email addy and password? Ive checked my explorer,my aol connection and asked live help,all three drew a blank,apart from blowing up my computer any thoughts? I want my mummy !! Best wishes zoe xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. We landbound folks sometimes forget about the islands ... and what it means to have disrupted or interupted services.  Hope things are back on track tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that picture for real...today with only that little lonely loaf of bread?  My goodness, ya'll do depend on the ferries.  Did you manage to snatch that loaf after taking the picture?  I hope you get some food delivered soon.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!!  Things like this sure put things here in the U.S. in perspective.  We may complain about rising prices, but at least we can get it regularly.  Did you get that last loaf of bread?  I sincerely hope supplies come in very soon and that you can hold out until then.  Can't do anything but think about you, but will you let us know when supplies do come in?

    Dirk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry I havn't been by.Not been in the best of health this week so catching up today hopefully.Good grief this is where freezers come in and are a God send.Stocking up supplies is a priority of mine,just for this reason.One never knows.There is only one motorway to my town and the other way round is so long haulage do just not want to go that way.So I always make sure I have plenty in of the main items,or near enough.I do hope you get fresh supplies very soon.I have seen shelves like that in past times.Take Care Have a good day.God Bless Kath astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

    ReplyDelete
  6. For a moment there I thought I was looking at the Russian shelves of years gone by.
    I expect everyone will be madly baking their own bread for now. Thank goodness for freezers.
    I don't think I would want to ride on the freight ferry MV Muirneag.  I like to know that my transport will reliably get me from A to B by the shortest route possible and not go 'round and round the gardens'.   Lol!
    Will planes bring in supplies if the worst comes to the worst?

    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh MY goodness! I hope they are able to run the boat soon!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete