Monday 6 November 2006

A Year Ago

A year ago, November 6th, 2005, was a Sunday. It was the day after the night before of the VIVIs. Patrick had hosted the award ceremonies. Not 10 days later, AOL USA decided to spin some money off the journals by adding ads. It led to a mass exodus of bloggers.

Here in Stornoway, we were looking at the start of a week of gales, culminating in a force 12 hurricane on Friday. One guest came on Tuesday, to look for houses. He was due to stay 1 night, but decided to extend this to two. On Thursday, the ferry had broken down in Ullapool. On Friday, there was this hurricane. It nearly sank the ferry. On Saturday, the ferry still had mechanical problems and it took 12 hours to make the crossing to Ullapool - normally, this takes less than 3 hours.

5 comments:

  1. I wouldn't have minded being on the ferry that long, no less guesting in Stornoway as I looked for a house.  Such a sharp memory you have!  CATHY

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when J-Landers got upset over the ads.  I wasn't yet keeping my own journal. I was just a "lurker."  Enjoying just reading them.  What a good memory you have!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was it a year ago already?  I didn`t even consider leaving over the ads and I hardly notice tham at all now.  I`m glad the ferry reached dry land in safety.

    Sandra xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the furore over the ads, some left and the some others devised ways to stop them showing. Jeannette xx  

    ReplyDelete
  5. dear Guido,
    not sure ths intention..are you worried about the storm?
    are you concerned about Vicis
    natalie

    ReplyDelete