Thursday 3 January 2008

Winter strikes

A severe storm has lashed the Black Sea in southeastern Europe, sinking a ship in the Kerch Strait, leading north from the Black Sea to the Sea of Azov. Snow up to 20 inches deep has fallen in Romania and Bulgaria, leading to travel chaos. Temperatures in Moldova, northeast of Romania, have plummeted to below -10C / 15F.

Here in the UK, snow falls and freezing weather have claimed the life of a motorist in eastern Scotland, when his car left the A90 at Brechin, north of Dundee. More snow is forecast; here in the northwest, it'll just be plain cold. The weather radar shows heavy snow showers in a band stretching from Northern Ireland northeast to Aberdeenshire.

If you are in Iowa and out caucusing this evening, you may be pleased to hear that it'll be a balmy 25F this evening.

7 comments:

  1. Sometimes.... (just SOMETIMES).. it's really nice to live in Los Angeles.  = )

    Joann

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds miserable.  Snow in the mountain passes is expected, but not welcomes down in the towns & villages.   I was just out to get my hair cut & even in the 45 minutes I was gone, the temperature dropped and a cold north wind kicked up. Is it summer yet?   Linda in Washington state

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been freezing in Brighton today, it snowed this morning for an hour but luckily it had all melted by early afternoon. Stay warm up there! Jeannette xx  

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I can't really complain about the weather here, can I?  Too bad about the ship that sank.  I hope there were no deaths associated with it.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. This week has been realy blustery on the East Coast and it is freezing cold with it.I read of the poor guy who lost his life in Scotland condolances to his family.The weather man said las night,it has to be milder here for the week/end.Lets hope so,I do not like the cold one iota  Brrrrrrrrr.Take Care God Bless Kath astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been waiting for snow as you may know. But when it does come, it causes havoc and fatalities. I was saddened to hear about the mans death yesterday on the news.  Sad news also to hear about the ship going down.
    Take care.
    Carolxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. In this case, I still think I would rather be in Iowa rather than the UK.  But neither could possibly touch the pleasure of Arizona temperatures in January.  Gerry

    ReplyDelete