Wednesday 17 May 2006

Tuesday 16/05/06

Pouring with rain today, low mist obscures the Arnish hills. Dreich in other words. Since last night, two workmen are staying with us. I discover a reference to mrs B's accommodation in a Swedish report from a holiday company. It is basically someone's travel diary in Swedish. Out of sheer curiosity I drag it through an on-line translator. I find it contains an oblique reference to myself, but the details are mercifully incorrect. The rain continues through the afternoon. It's cold outside, with a northeasterly wind. This causes a groundswell out in the Minch, and when a wee boat goes out, it encounters some rough conditions. Sun peeps through the clouds once or twice. On the whole though, it remains wet and miserable. Late in the evening, news comes through that foxes have been sighted on the island. They are not a native species, and if really present, will cause slaughter amongst sheep and lambs - it does not bear thinking about. Who would want to bring a fox here, for god's sake?! Mrs B gives me a recipe for cranachan, see pics in gallery.

2 comments:

  1. I do hope you haven't got foxes there, they could cause havoc. A cat I had years ago got very friendly with a fox, I'd see them sitting together in the garden when I pulled back the curtains in the morning!! I hope the weather brightens up for you, we have mist here in Brighton too. Jeannette xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Cranachan looks and sounds wonderful!  
    Lori

    ReplyDelete