Tuesday 23 May 2006

Tuesday 23/05/06 - evening

At 1.30, the cruiseliner Polar Star leaves port. She is a small ship, only 4,000 tonnes, which plies routes round both poles. She can carry 96 passengers, and cruises cost between £2,500 and £7,000. At least. In the afternoon, mrs B's nephew turns up. He is not too well today. He takes us into town to do a bit of shopping. I find out that the MacKenzie River in Arctic Canada is named after Sir Alexander MacKenzie, who was born in Stornoway in the 1760s. A memorial plaque is mounted on the Francis Street wall of Martin's Memorial Church. Between 2 and 3pm, it pours with rain. After 4pm, some very beefy showers turn up, leaving some fantastic cloudscapes. Mrs B's son reappears at 4.30, at the same time as I do, to work on his boat. Find several websites with live weather data, much like the Eoropie webcam. Mrs B cooks the lamb dish that is in my Recipe Book (see Journals links), but replaces the lamb with chicken. The showers relent during the evening. Find out that I have taken 2,000 pictures between April 2005 and May 2006. Sounds a lot, but I read in someone else's journal (sorry, it's a private one) that they had 11,000 pics on-line.

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad I've beaten you in the picture taking stakes!! I love to watch clouds, I have some stunning sunset photos I've taken in the past year with wonderful cloud formations. You may like this site  Atmospheric Optics it has amazing pics of weird and wonderful skies! Jeannette x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures!  Sounds like you had a good day.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a pretty good sized ship to me. Those clouds look dangerous. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there Mr. Boatman~Sugar sent me over to say "HI". So you actually live on this boat? Can carry 96 people--wow! I love all things ocean so I just thought I'd stop in. Don't you get cold up there? Feel free to come by my journal. Blessings, SassyDeb ;-)

    http://journals.aol.com/sassydee50/SassysEYE

    ReplyDelete
  5. great pictures, nice boat.

    ReplyDelete