Saturday 5 January 2008

Giving the red light to the red lights

The authorities in the Dutch capital, Amsterdam, have closed down a prestigious brothel, after complaints it had been taken over by Hell's Angels. Prostitution is legal in the Netherlands, but Amsterdam City Council holds the opinion that there are too many premises for horizontal refreshments in their borough. They have been buying up many of the properties where prostitutes were displaying themselves, and turned them into homes or businesses.

Prostitution is one of the less salubrious reasons for overseas visitors to visit Amsterdam, and, more seriously, is thought to be linked to organised crime in many instances, like at the Yab Yum Club, which would charge $500 a go. Yab Yum has contested the decision to close them down, but have failed.

11 comments:

  1. Rofl at  "horizontal refreshments" couldn't have worded it any better myself. lol ;0)Love Pam xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. No point in applying for a job there then  .>)  .love Jan xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya, I'm with Jan...that was going to be my choice for a part time job to supplement my retirement income.  Guess, I'll buy groceries with my airfare money. LOL  Linda in Washington state

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have SUCH a way with words... 'horizontal refreshments'... LOL!!!  That cracked me up!!

    Joann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blimey, there goes my part-time job ROFL

    http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

    ReplyDelete
  6. $500 a go....wow!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder if anyone who used to frequent a brothel that then became a house got a surprise when they knocked on the door expecting something that wasn't there any more? Interesting.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been trying today to get to the blogs of people who were kind to me during my weepiness :-). You wrote me a lovely email that really mattered to. Thank you.
    Now~ horizontal refreshments LOLOLOLOL. Never thought of it quite that way. ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, I meant: That really mattered to me.
    The horizontal refreshments threw my comment off! ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the "horizontal refreshments" term you used. I'm gonna use that one on someone someday...."Come on in for some horizontal refreshments" LMAO!!!
    Pam xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never heard the expression 'horizontal refreshments' in my entire life.  You wrote that line so you must take credit for it being a GUIDO-ISM.  

    You've left me laughing twice today.


    Nelishia
    http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/PrayingandBelieving/

    ReplyDelete