Sunday 6 March 2005

Mon 24/1/05 + Tue 25/1/05

 24/1/05

A dreich day with occasional showers and feeling chilly. The shop nextdoor could not provide food. At first they had no bread, and when I came back later it had all gone! Porridge for lunch, groan.

25/1/05

The bus was a few minutes early, so I missed it. Went out to the road at 9.56, only to be hailed by Margaret in the shop to tell me that the bus had already gone. As I have got no food left in the hostel, I had to make do with watercakes for lunch. These don’t look nutritious, and neither are they, judging by the way I feel a few hours after consuming 8 of them. Next bus, incidentally, comes at 4pm, returning me to Kershader at 6.40. Visibility drops as a mist or fog comes down on the loch during the afternoon. The mist turns out to be a thick drizzle, and it’s as well I didn’t go for a walk; you need good visibility. By 3.30, I can barely see Laxay across the water. Jumped on the bus at 4pm to go to town, and had to wait 10 minutes at Balallan for the Harris bus. Chatted to my lady friend from Westend Balallan on the way into town, about the gales, walking in Eishken (she had been up Beinn Mhor on Sunday) &c. Arrived in Stornoway at nightfall, to find the Co-op out of bread, Somerfields not yet open so had to double back all the way across town to the large Co-op on Macaulay Road. A steady drizzle fell right the way through. Returned to the busstation at 5.45, but the South Lochs bus did not show up until 6pm. Apparently, the southbound Harris bus had been 20 minutes late at Balallan, so the Lochs bus was delayed as well. I have never traveled back to Lochs in the dark, and I recognized nothing. I marvel how people can be dropped off outside their correct doors. Returned to Kershader at 6.40. Today was mild, 9C

No comments:

Post a Comment