Sunday 13 March 2005

West Side II - 17/02/05

Headed north on the Ness bus at 10.30, and got off at South Dell, where I had terminated last Friday's walk. Headed through the township, following a garbage truck which was collecting the week's rubbish. At the western end of the village, I passed through a gate and came out on to the moor. It is a bright morning with sunny intervals. At the first cove, I am met with an unpleasant surprise: a dead dolphin or small whale (one with teeth) spread across the mouth of a river. There is a lot of foam on the sea, and it smells mildly fishy out there. Hop over the river and carry on down the shore. It is very pleasant and easy walking, up and down past various conspicuous cliff features. There is a tremendous swell from the ocean, although there is not that much wind - a force 4 at the most. As time progresses, the cloud increases and the ubiquitous showers commence. Problems start just after 1 pm, when I find that I have to cross river between North and South Galson. Which is not possible. Turning inland for the nearest footbridge isn't an option either, because of barbed wire fencing, the curse of any cross country walker. So, it's off with the boots and off with the socks and into the water. It's not that cold, the sharp edged stones are a lot more bothersome. I allow the feet to dry in the wind, which is starting to pick up, and have some lunch. Then I continue up the coast, still battling with coastal erosion, having to perform dangerous gymnastics to circumvent collapses and boulders. A bit hairy, really. Finally get myself to Borve River just before 3, and decide it's time to start thinking about the 4.10 bus. So I endeavour to go inland, which only succeeds after a lot of hemming and hawing. And I promptly go the wrong way, as I was not anticipating this turn right. A quick glance at the map showed me I had headed straight east instead of south, and as a matter of consequence was now in Melbost Borve instead of High Borve. I'm very popular with the sheep, just like yesterday: you say baa once, and the entire flock comes running, baaing themselves. A great laugh. Back on the main road, I spent the time in pleasant conversation with a lady who proudly announces she is 82 years of age. The bus takes me back to Stornoway at 10 past 4, to arrive there half an hour later. Had a microwave meal tonight, can't be bothered with the restaurants tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment