Tuesday 15 March 2005

Sunday 6/3/05

The day started with a powercut at 8.45, which I didn't really notice until mrs B brought it to my attention. The auxiliary powerstation kicked in. The roar of the generators is audible at Newton. When I go out for a walk, the clock in the town hall tower has stopped at 8.45, and the traffic lights are out. The ones on Bayhead are still functioning, so I'm a bit puzzled. I go on a walk through the Castle grounds, almost as far as Marybank, but double back along the Creed River to the Iron Fountain. There, I head north to Gallows Hill, alt. 66m. This offers a very nice view over the whole of Stornoway and outlying areas. Sit there for a wee while, watching a shower of drizzle blur the outline of the houses as it passes over the town. The view extends west to Achmore, a distant hill in Uig, the Barvas hills (4 summits) and North Bay. The sun comes out again, causing the temperature to rise. I walk down to the shoreline and flop down in the grass at Sober Point. A yappy little dog takes a dislike against me, but I ignore it. A group of youngster prance around as well, but then they all go. I follow a little later, back to my B&B. Have a take away from the Indian; I usually have micro-wave meals which mrs B allows me to heat up in her kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment