Friday 11 March 2005

Sun 13/02/05

There is no public transport here on Sundays, so I'm chained to the town. Walked up to the Bridge at Bayhead; a few folk were about in the town. Through the castle grounds along the foreshore. Saw some waterfowl, ducks, divers, herons. Went as far as the river Creed, and followed that upstream. There are quite a few people walking the paths in the Castle grounds. Went across the Creed River at the Iron Fountain. This is coloured bright red / brown due to the high iron content. If you drink it you may get a bad stomach upset.

This is the point where I had to start a new notepad... read on:

Reached the Arnish road and went along it to the generator station and the lighthouse. Before the lighthouse you pass the derelict Fabrication Yard, where they intend to build the towers for the wind turbines, if ever they come to Lewis. Don't start me off on wind turbines. Following the road along the perimeter fence brings you to the lighthouse buildings; a wallow through muck brings one to the lighthouse itself and Arnish Point. Nice view over to the town and down the harbour. Returned from there at 2pm, only to be given a lift to Marybank, on the northern side of Stornoway. Very nice of those folk, but I ended up further away than need be. Had to double back across the golf course (flooded bunkers). And I left my mapcase in the car. How stupid.

1 comment:

  1. Your journal gets more interesting each time I read it...

    Yes, drinking neat iron particularly on an empty tummy will render you somewhat poorly! I discovered that on drinking an oxo drink on said. Arrrrrggghhh.

    Why do the sheep die? I wondered if it was just due to good ole, old age. Do you know, I have no idea how long sheep live for...

    I hope the B & B is more hospitable than the erstwhile hostel...how bizarre is that Pharm..anyway...may you be happier there and that Mrs B appreciates your custom.

    ReplyDelete