Sunday 13 March 2005

West Side III - 18/02/05

Yes, this is the third trip in succession to the Western seaboard of the island. Started out on the 10.30 bus this morning, and managed to get off in the wrong village, Galson / Gabhsainn. I had already passed through this on trip II, yesterday, so the return trip to Borve/Melbost - Buirgh Aird/Mealabost was a bit of an unnecessary addition. The weather conditions today are difficult. There is an on-shore force 7 wind, which increases to force 8 on the top of the shoreline cliffs. This is the result of the wind being forced upwards by the cliffs. There is also the phenomenon of the hail showers which come clattering by every 40 minutes or so. Went down the lane through South Galson, past Galson Farm, which also boasts a hostel. Useful to know. Once out on the shoreline, I found the way just as difficult, as the wind is buffeting me from the right, from the sea. The clifftop is badly eroded as a result of the January hurricane, and requires frequent detours. Either to shorelevel or inland. After 75 minutes, I'm back where I ended yesterday: Borve Melbost. A hop and a step across the stepping stones, then to the gate which forms the road end. Beyond this gate is a deep lake, so an exercise in gymnastics is required. Finally make it onto the foreshore again, where I have lunch in the gale. A plastic bag is whooshed away and ends up in a fence 200 yards away. Pass by the village of Shader and carry on towards Ballintrushal. Come across a gentleman who is also battling with the elements, but it is very difficult to conduct an intelligent conversation. He directs me to the Ballintrushal Stone : riveting. A 20 feet high stone. Oh. Strike out across the moors, along the clifftops. These are actually quite high, but I am beginning to think of the time. My return bus leaves Barvas at 4.20, and I'm having to start veering southeast to head towards the road. The moor is virtually featureless, and very wet. The intermittent dykes and ditches make for difficult conditions, but the submerged remains of a wrecked car enable me to hop across one bog. Finally I clamber over a barbed wire fence and find myself on the road from Barvas Cemetery to the main A857, which I reach just after 4. A 10 minute walk brings me to the northern outskirts of this village, and the bus comes by just as I take up position. Perfect timing.

No comments:

Post a Comment