Thursday 22 February 2007

Date for your diary

A total eclipse of the moon is visible from virtually every continent on Earth on the night of March 3rd / 4th. The table below gives times as UT (universal time), which is the same as GMT or UK winter time. I'll include the conversion to EST and PST timings.

Partial Eclipse Begins: 21:30:22 UT / 4.30pm EST / 1.30 pm PST
Total Eclipse Begins: 22:44:13 UT / 5.44pm EST / 2.44pm PST
Greatest Eclipse: 23:20:56 UT / 6.20pm EST / 3.20pm PST
Total Eclipse Ends: 23:57:37 UT / 6.57pm EST / 3.57pm PST
Partial Eclipse Ends: 01:11:28 UT / 8.11pm EST / 5.11pm PST

Further details from the NASA website.

North America
EST = UT - 5 hours
CST = UT - 6 hours
MST = UT - 7 hours
PST = UT - 8 hours

Obviously, if the sun is still up, the eclipse will not be visible, and I have serious doubts whether the western states in the USA will be seeing much of it.

Let's hope for some clear skies!


Technorati Tags: , ,

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, let's hope we don't get cloud cover as so often happens when we want to see something! Jeannette xx  http://journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels/  

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!! Would love to be able to see it. Thanks for the information hon!! (Hugs) Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started marking my desk calendar and I realized we will still be in daylight during the event!  Sheeesh!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I am marking this one!  Thanks, Guido:)  I MEAN to keep up with this stuff.....  life getting in the way.  I want to take a moment for this, however!  -- Robin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gee, at 6:20 pm EST, that will be only 5:20 pm CST.....I don't think the moon will even be over the pine trees by then.  Marking it on my calander to look anyway.  -  Barbara

    ReplyDelete