Tuesday 27 February 2007

Food and wellbeing

This afternoon, it was reported from Newcastle, northern England, that a boy of 8, who weighs 14 stone [88 kg] is allowed to stay at home. The lad refuses to eat anything but junkfood. He won't eat vegetables or fruit. Exercise for him consists of riding his bike and jumping on the trampoline, which he cannot keep up for longer than 10 minutes because he'll get out of breath and starts vomiting. A hearing of North Tyneside social services this afternoon met, with the boy's mother in attendance, to decide whether he should be placed in care. The outcome was that he could stay at home.

Now, I don't have any kids of my own, but isn't it normal for kids not to like fruit & veg at that age. And isn't it also common NOT to give in all the time, which this mother did do.

6 comments:

  1. I blame the mother.  She lets him get away with doing what he wants and has not made a real effort to get any help for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My youngest is 8 and weighs about 85-90 lbs.  He rarely eats vegetables or fruits...so I supplement with vitamins.  I figure he'll get bored of the same old stuff and broaden his horizons when he's ready like the older two did...

    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kids these days have far too much control!!
    Granted, the lad's mother shouldn't have given him junk food in the place - but I'm certain junk foods are addictive. Have seen how "hyped" my own grandkids can become, on the rare occasion they are fed fast foods.
    Food for thought?
    Sylvia
    http://journals.aol.co.uk/Sylviam4000/YeOldeEnglishPosy/

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son had his favorites. He liked broccoli, green beans, carrots, apples, bananas, and potatoes. I could always make a meal for him with those and he'd eat it.  He's healthy, so it must have worked.  Now that he's older his interest in a more varied diet has increased.  
    Sometimes I think that kids are convinced by other kids that veggies are "icky." I had to watch that.  
    Interesting subject.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I hated most vegies but surprised to hear he doesnt like fruit. Did you hear about that mother who could loose custody of her child because he is obeist? Sometimes we have a hard time telling our kids no and I know I am guilty of that at times, but I think the state can do more for the mother by teaching her than taking away her child. ~Raven

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh! I'm allowed to comment now! I was going to say that parents should wean children on proper food and not this highly addictive junk food. Fast food has a lot of fat and sugar in it and can be so addictive to young kids. My dad was a butcher and grew his own veg so we had fresh meat and veg every day. OK, so I hated cabbage but I've had a lifelong love of sprouts and other veg. It's just what you get used to when you're young. My kids were never given sweets until they were about four years old, then only as a weekly treat. They grew up with perfect teeth, not very good news for the dentist but they were never afraid to go to him as they never needed treatment! Jeannette xx  

    ReplyDelete