Wednesday 28 February 2007

Vitamin supplements

The debate around taking vitamin and mineral supplements took another turn today with the publication, in the Journal of the American Medical Association, of a study into the benefits or otherwise of these things.

They suggest that taking vitamins A, C and E could actually hasten your demise, rather than delay it. I'd need to read the JAMA study myself before committing myself either way, but it's my considered opinion that someone on a healthy, varied diet does not need to take supplements. The BBC carried this on their website.

5 comments:

  1. I've always thought as you do. It's far better to eat vitamins that your food provides than to take supplements although some people have very unhealthy diets! Jeannette xx   http://journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels/  

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it crazy ... One minute they are telling us that something is good for us, and the next minute the same thing is detrimental to our health.  I guess the lesson here, like you say, is to eat a balanced diet, and let nature take care of these things herself.  Tina  

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm catching up on all my journal readings Guido hope you have been well?
    I once tried to use vitamin supplements but kept forgetting to take them as popping pills doesn't come natural to me.  A well rounded diet is the answer. Not feeding greedy pharmaceutical industries who concoct new ideas to take our money off us for the sake of our health.  (Its early morning...am I allowed a rant?)  Lol!    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw something about this yesterday online.  I have to agree that a healthy person with healthy eating habits shouldn't need supplements, anyway.
    Lori
    http://wtv-zone.com/emma/food/snacks/peanutbutter.gif

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear guido,
    I think that vitamin supplements work good when needed for the elderly or ill.
    hugs,nat

    ReplyDelete