Friday 9 February 2007

Friday jottings

Cloudy but fairly bright day today, continuing chilly with temperatures of 5C. Today, 46 people lost their jobs as a contracting firm went into receivership. They appeared to have done well in previous years, taking over three other businesses in the town.

The tropical cyclones I reported on over the past number of days have all disappeared from the map, which should be a relief to people in northern Australia.

You may very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment
Actor Ian Richardson, who uttered this famous one-liner in the 1990 BBC sitcom "House of Cards" died today at the age of 72. He was a versatile actor, who acquired widespread fame with his role as a Macchiavellian politician Francis Urquhart. Richardson, who died suddenly, also played roles in "Bleak House" and "Gormenghast", to name but a few. I was sorry to learn of his death.

4 comments:

  1. The loss of all those jobs must have come as a terrible shock to those people and their families!  What an awful life shattering thing to happen to anyone!  I shudder to think of how they are going to cope and find another job.  I will pray for them Guido.
    We have rain at present which is thining out the light sprinkling of snow on the lower fells.  
    I was sorry to hear of the death of Ian Richardson today too may God rest his soul...he was a fine actor.   Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I was sorry to hear of actor Ian Richardson's death.He was one of the greats and very modest.He appeared in a fav. film of mine 'Mistral's daughter' .I enjoyed 'house of cards' also.
    It is still snowing here in N.Wales, on with the wellies!!
    Rach.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of that actor you talk of.  I might know him if I saw a picture.  
    Sorry to hear of all those people losing their jobs.  Was it sudden? Or was there warning?  I really feel bad for them.
    Have a good night.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn`t heard Ian Richardson had died, he was certainly an excellent actor. He certainly gave the role of Francis Urquhart a sense of menace...unforgettable stuff!

    Sandra xx

    ReplyDelete