Thursday 8 February 2007

Security

What will people think of next?

After her handbag was stolen, this lady has changed her habit of how she lists her names on her mobile phone.  Her handbag, which contained her mobile, credit card, purse etc.... was stolen.   20 minutes later when she called her hubby, from a pay phone telling him what had happened, hubby says "I've just received your text asking about our pin number and I replied a little while ago."  When they rushed down to the bank, the bank staff told them all the money was already withdrawn.  The pickpocket had actually used the stolen phone to text "hubby" in the contact list and got hold of the pin number.  Within 20 minutes he had withdrawn all the money from the bank account.   Moral of the story:  Do not disclose the relationship between you and the people in your contact list.  Avoid using names like Home, Honey, Hubby, sweetheart,   Dad, Mum etc.......And very importantly, when sensitive info is being asked thru texts, CONFIRM by CALLING BACK.   Please pass this on to your family and friends.

11 comments:

  1. I don't have a mobile phone but I can see that it could be used for that purpose. Pity we always have to be on our guard. Jeannette xx  http://journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels/  

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes !  Will the honest people every be able to out smart the bad people? At least I'm single and there's no one that knows my PIN number.  Linda in Washington

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good advice. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunate that we need advice of this kind - but thank you so much for keeping us aware!  CATHY

    ReplyDelete
  5. How scary!  I will totally remind my hubby of this!

    be well,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this advice!  Things we don't think would happen.  Times are different now.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no idea!   Thanks for this I shall change everything straight away.   You just never know!  Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey thanks for this info ....wow ..what next ?...love Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  9. So bad, they have a way of thinking of everything just to get what they want! I had a shoplifter recently that I had stopped and retrieved the stock from, barred her from the store and then 20mins later she came back saying she had lost her purse had we found it?? We hadn`t but I always think that " Karma " comes right back at you.
    bella xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very good advice....checking my cell phone.
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the warning.  I think the only number in my phone that is tagged by the relationship is my mother ("Mom").  Think I'll go change it to her name right now.
    Lori
    http://journals.aol.com/helmswondermom/DustyPages

    ReplyDelete