Sunday 25 June 2006

Television

Adding to my earlier rant about commercials, I do not hold much of the satellite TV services being relayed by Sky. It's either Repeat Hell of the series of yesteryear, time and time and time and time again. I think they have restarted All Creatures Great and Small for the 10th time over. Which has killed off the stories of James Herriot for me. There is a limit to the number of police chases you can imbibe, particularly with the acerbic tones of Retired Sheriff John Bunnell who is forever castigating those on the rang saat of da laaaw. I get bored by randy tv (we all know about it and we all do it basically the same way, thanks), am not interested in sports (tonight's football was a complete turn-off, 16 yellow cards and 4 players sent off). It's just as well it isn't me paying the Sky bill, because it's a waste of money. I am, even the BBC channels do not have a lot to offer. Did I mention Big Brother yet? It is a Dutch Disgrace, which should have been kept off our screens this year. I have made a point of not watching, and the reports permeating beyond the screen made me shrink back in horror. What is the idea, trying to force people into a complete nervous breakdown? It's sensationalist TV, and in spite of its popularity should be axed.

Right, that was another rant. Sorry. It's now 10.55 pm, still very light up here on a cloudless night. It will not get dark tonight, and by 3.15 am, the light will start to return again. Today's diary entry will follow.

3 comments:

  1. I'm just so glad I haven't got a TV, it's so peaceful without one! You sound as disillusioned with it as I was, if you lived alone I don't think you'd bother with it would you? Jeannette xx  

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeannette, my TV broke down in my previous place in 2003. Until I moved north the next year, I didn't bother buying a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, I think the TV shows now are a total waste of time. I do like to watch some of the older shows like "I Love Lucy" and "Andy Griffith." Even though I know the endings, I never get tired of them.  I have cable movie channels and will find a good movie to watch sometimes. That's about it.  
    My TV was bought in 1988 and still works like new.  That tells me how little it's been used!
    Have a good night.
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete