Friday 27 July 2007

Cannabis

A report out today states that cannabis could precipitate psychotic illnesses, such as schizophrenia, even in first-time users. People smoking pot for the first time have a 41% chance of developing this disorder, and the danger persists with continued use. The risks of cannabis have augmented in recent years due to the appearance of varieties (skunk) which contain higher concentrations of active component (commonly referred to as THC).

Cannabis has been downgraded from a class B to a class C category. A psychiatrist speaking on BBC News this lunchtime made the very valid point that young people are probably unaware of the fine distinctions of classes A, B and C. They should be educated as to the risks of smoking the substance, and generally on the dangers of using drugs. I think this should include nicotine and alcohol, as well as cannabis and what is commonly termed "hard drugs", such as heroin and cocaine.

Over in Holland, legal authorities have adopted the pragmatic approach by not prosecuting users who carry a small amount for personal use. They also permit cannabis outlets, euphemistically called coffee shops. Anyone found in possession of more than about an ounce of cannabis WILL be prosecuted. This includes the suppliers of the coffeeshops. The move was initiated some years ago, but still leads to confusion - those visiting Holland are under the misapprehension that cannabis is legal there - it is not. And they also forget that carrying cannabis into the UK, and other countries, is a criminal offense, irrespective of quantity, and could land you a term in prison.


Tags:

6 comments:

  1. lol my daughter's fave thing. That's all I have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How scary...

    be well,
    Dawn
    http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gee Guido
    I guess I am totally confused
    So... do police go inot coffe shops and check peple? do they say"wow this is more than one ounce so let's go down to jail"?
    Ummmm..would you consider writing another longer blog entrya bout this? thanks Guido! hugs,nat

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dangers of cannabis sound a good deal more alarming than we tend to think, which might explain why some people freak out so badly while taking drugs  And it is very clear to me that some people get very psychotic on alcohol.  My ex husband was much worse when he drank  I wasn't afraid of him when he was sober, but I was when he drank.  Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I think everyone I know has had a few doses of pot including myself. Well, it such things are true, I hope my second personality is kind,lol....

    In seriously,  probably many drugs has some mind side affects if taken over time. I am wondering what the hell Aderal will have to say in about 20 years since so many kids and adults are on that. ~Raven

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats scary info. and more of this info. needs to get out in our news and media.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete