Wednesday 18 July 2007

Midges


The Scottish Highlands and Islands are prone to midge infestations during the summer months. The severity of the midgey problem is set out along this sliding scale:
    0 - No midges

    1 - A few midges visible

    2 - Midges occasionally alight on uncovered skin, some biting

    3 - Frequent landings and some discomfort due to biting

    4 - Midges cannot be repelled by hand alone, protection necessary. Serious discomfort if you stay in one place


    5 - Midges begin to mass on skin and clothing; ointments may become ineffectual


    6 - Midges visible in clouds, clothes seething; hair, eyes, ears and nose clogged and midges inhaled with each breath; acute discomfort


    7 - Black clouds of massed midges causing serious injury, impossible to remain outside


    8 - Dense, black clouds of enraged midges capable of breaking windows, attacks may be fatal

9 comments:

  1. Nasty.
    Jenny <><

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yuk...you need more birds and bats to eat those nasty things.  Linda in Wa shington state

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy crap...hopefully you've not been above a 5!   (not like I go outside much anyway where it'd bother me, but I know you love to walk...)

    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nasty little buggers...here we call them mosquitoes :-) but they are a REAL nuisance no matter which name they be called!!We get to level 5 here midsummer!
    The only cute midge is a DEAD one (and the one on your entry :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just had to to come see what a midge was.  Now that I know it's a misquito, I can say "I feel your pain."  -  Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think if I was going to get a "skeeter" up my nose, I'd find it almost intolerable to be outside:)  Yep, we have those here, too, more so near bodies of water, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I've ever dealt with a "midge"/mosquito infestation above a three.  THANK GOODNESS!!!!  Good luck keeping them away!!
    -K

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like our mosquito... lol

    be well,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just hate bugs!! Luckily, it's not too bad here this summer.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete