Sunday 15 July 2007

Sunday notes

Overcast morning, but with some brightness. Those in northern and central England should brace themselves for more downpours, sometimes expected to bring an inch of rain within 2 hours. It is not thought to be as severe as the extreme floods that killed 4 people last month in northern England.

In Tokyo, they are bracing themselves for the arrival of the remains of typhoon Man-yi, which is racing that way with winds of 45 knots, force 9 to 10 on the Beaufort scale. Three people died as the storm swept along western Japan, two were killed when they were swept away by swollen rivers. The capital city could see as much as 10 inches of rain later in the day and into Monday; bear in mind that Japan is 10 hours ahead of GMT.
As I said, the weather here is quite reasonable. The day opened with an abandoned glass sitting on the wall outside, presumably left behind by revellers returning from the last night of the Hebridean Celtic Festival. A lot of people left on the lunchtime ferry yesterday, some of whom might be headed for the Elton John gig over in Inverness. Sunday calm now reigns over Stornoway.

6 comments:

  1. I am pleased to here that peace has returned to you area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, England deserves some sunshine, so I hope the rain isn't as bad as predicted.  After a hot humid day, we got about 20 drops of rain last night about 8pm.  Then it quit.  This morning, I woke up to sunshine again...why can't it be spread around?   Linda in Washington state

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guido...pop over to my journal...you've been nominated as a rockin man blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope England gets some sunshine soon. And I do hope Japan doesn't suffer too much from this storm. What a nightmare!
    I can't imagine all of this weather. In CA it's a typical July. Hot and dry. Although, it's not as hot as it can be. It's been a mild summer compared to some we've had. But, it ain't over <smile>.
    I'd love to see Elton John. Wow I've been a fan of his since I was 13yrs old!! Eventually, I'm going to see him.
    Have a nice calm Sunday Guido...and stay dry.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. The weather has been hot and humid all day with rumblings of thunder for most of it. We`ve only had a few spots of rain despite dark and heavy skies. I hope the rains stays off but somehow I doubt it.

    Sandra xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stange how the weather here and in the UK coincides lately.  We got an almighty rain storm with power outages last night.  It was cool for me but the kidlet didn't enjoy it.  (woke up with him in my bed this AM....LOL)

    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete