Tuesday 17 July 2007

Reading or watching

Was just reading an entry by Pennie (A Pennie's Worth). Pennie was seriously ill earlier this year. She has now written about her experiences in hospital. One day, she asked the nurse for a book to read. "If you're bored, can't you watch TV?" There was this steady procession of people who came into her room and asked her if she wanted to watch the TV. No, she preferred to read. Basically, the general reaction was that someone who wanted to read rather than watch TV was worthy of viewing. Ambulancemen came to have a look at the woman who wanted to read a book. A wardclark deposited a carrier full of old magazines and books by her bedside.

Isn't that SAD. Over the past year, my viewing habits have shrunk to near zero, restricting myself to the news bulletins. Satellite TV offers more than 500 channels, the majority of which can be classified as garbage. I think you can learn more from reading a book than from watching TV in many instances. Currently, British TV (Channel 4) is once again into Big Brother, and I'm successfully staying away from it. When it is mentioned in a newspaper, I don't know who they're talking about.

Anybody else got any thoughts? Read Pennie's entry, and leave a comment either there or here, or write an entry in your own journal.

10 comments:

  1. Yes, I read that entry last night.  What a shame reading is becoming a thing of the past with the masses.  Reading opened up the world to me when I was young and as an adult I have enjoyed the company of a good book much more than anything I have watched on tv.  I hope this trend is reversed in the future and that generations to come will discover the joys and benefits of reading books.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Pennie's entry last night as well. As for reading I think it's a shame that this generation lacks intellectual stimuli that comes from reading. I seldom watch tv these days unless I have rented a DVD and can choose what I'm viewing. It comes to no surprise to me to hear words or sentences butchered at the expense of laziness, when the guilty never pick up a book. My daughter graduated high school with honors, how I will never know. I would wince whenever she would email me last year from college. Her spelling is atrocious and I have yet to see a completed sentence from her-yet they pass her with flying colors and expect her to do well in college? I told Pennie myself the treatment she recieved was indeed sad and uncalled for. (Hugs) Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read that entry. As a nurse, I do still encounter people who would prefer to read than watch TV. Myself included. I do like to watch movies on cable. Occasionally the news. But, overall, I read. There is nothing on TV that interests me at all. I just can't believe it, either! When my son was here we were watching old TV shows from MY era on TVLand. That's as far as it went.
    I think it's amazing that people would leave her reading materials in her room. That was very nice of them!!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. The same thing happened to me when I was in the hospital!  Every single person asked me if I wanted the TV on!  Finally, I had to say "Look...I have three kids and three dogs at home...this is the most quiet I will ever get...so NO, I DON'T WANT THE TV ON!"

    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guido I read Pennys entry ,and told her I coudnt imagine life without my books ,people who dont read are missing so much 'Whats big brother'? lol ..love Jan xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well after being a bookseller for 16 years, I can't imagine a world without books.  I do watch some TV also, but could not live without books.  Once in a while I have a customer tell me that some day there will be no books, it will all be on computer, I tell them I don't believe that there will ever be a day when a person will not like to have the feeling a the actual book in their hand.  The saying for booksellers is "so many books, so little time".  Joni

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was happy to read Pennie is updating again...and I see what she was talking about..experienced it many times with my own Mom while she was in the hospital.  She never watched TV....preferring reading.  Thanks for sharing Pennies thoughts.  Doing my catching up...so far behind, as you know.  Thanks also for your support during my husbands illness.  
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree I cut down on loads of teely, it`s so boring and so much of the same in these soaps.
    bella x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Books any day.  I sell them and have far too many book cases full, i am now starting to make piles.  I expect i will have to give some away soon.
    Jenny <><

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read that one yet, but will pop over there.  That is quite amazing -- and ridiculous!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete