Saturday 12 January 2008

Record flights

Scotland now holds two records (at least) related to commercial aviation. The shortest scheduled flight in the world is between the islands of Westray and Papa Westray in Orkney. It is billed at 2 minutes, and costs £12 return.

The Western Isles now have the highest quoted airfare in the world as well. Residents of Benbecula, wishing to fly to Stornoway using the Air Discount Scheme, were apparently asked to fork out £1,000,000 each way. Without ADS, the price was £88 each way. ADS is a government subsidised scheme, where residents of outlying islands get a 40% reduction on their base airfares to the mainland. Benbecula lies 70 miles southwest of Stornoway.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I would take even the 2 minute flight...I am terrified to fly!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could do that two minute flight, I think. I wonder if they have time to serve the complimentary beverages and pretzels, though

    betty

    ReplyDelete