Monday 31 July 2006

Contacts

Some people have got some very warped ideas about "relationships on-line". And by relationship I don't mean a romance - I just mean the way you interact with other people on AOL, MSN, whatever. It is unusual, and not everybody can get their head round it. How can you relate to writing on a screen? I have never met anybody I encountered on AOL bar 1. I have received pictures from a few of you. One or two people have told me very personal aspects of their lives, through email and IM, and through their journals.

Can you be friends you only interact with through a copper wire? Not hearing their voice even, not seeing their face? I believe you can. I have also met people who think it's dangerous. Yes, there is an element of danger and risk, particularly if you want to establish a connection by phone or even a face-to-face meeting. There are plenty of horror stories about, of young teenagers being "groomed" on-line.

I think everybody will have to decide for themselves if they want to have contact with people via the Internet. There is always that little red box with an X in it. There is always an off-switch. YOU are in control. I am in control.

I won't deny that I have felt close with a few people on-line. But I also realise, after two years, that you have to play it very carefully, if you want to take it further. A lot more careful than I initially did.

5 comments:

  1. Yes, you do indeed need to be careful. I esp feel for the younger people (teens, etc) & for people who are very lonely...they often take chances they should not. BEWARE is my advice on the subject.
    Hope your wkend went well & you have a nice week ahead.
    Sugar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well put.  I've met a few folks from the internet, face to face.  Some turned into beautiful relationships/friendships and others not so good.  Nothing bad, but not at all what I was lead to believe.  Then again I've met folks fact to face in a social setting that turned out not to be what I expected.  You have to be careful always, sad but true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ido agree ,and think we should all be mindful of how much we are giving away ........Jan xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very few friendships are unconditional. I am fortunate. For me, friendship is about taking the rough with the smooth, appreciating good points that outweigh the bad...none of us are saints..it's the combination of these factors that make us unique individuals.

    We all need friends,for shoulders, advice, practical help, empathy, a sound board, clarity, a giggle, to share with, but none of us can provide it all. Our uniqueness makes us special in our particular areas within our friendships.

    I guess, the toughest attribute we all find difficult is to be non-judgmental; respect the other's position. We ebb and flow through life and friendship goes with that tide.

    Internet contact is another medium through which to communicate and whether on line, or in person it's the same. It's extraordinary, but our intuition or subsequent events will always bring reality for better or for worse. I know all about worse. And thankfully I am fortunate to have received support and friendship on line and off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have to be very careful everywhere, especially on the internet where you can never be sure whether to believe what people tell you. I've heard the horror stories from people who have been messing about on things like Myspace. Besy to be cautious! Jeannette xx  

    ReplyDelete