Monday 31 July 2006

Magpie moth

Last Wednesday, I was called by mrs B to this unusual moth which had alighted in the porch outside her front door. I didn't know what it was called, so left a note with the picture asking for further info. Reader mssusyglossop pointed me to the RSPB website (moths are eaten by birds) which indicated that the magpie moth is not common in Scotland. I therefore reported it to the RSPB, who referred me on to the Butterfly Conservation. The website gave details on how to report the creature and to whom. Things fell a bit flat when the email address on the factsheet bounced, but I'll keep trying.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely moth! :)
    Sug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting pattern to the wings...hugs,
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. Magpie Moths are quite common here in Buckinghamshire. Never dawned on me they were rarer further north. Happy moth & butterfly watching.
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete